Sony has announced the release of the URX-P41D, a new two-channel portable audio receiver that works with Sony’s Multi Interface (MI) hotshoe found on its select Alpha, Cinema Line and XDCAM cameras.
The receiver is can be paired with two wireless microphones and even has an extra on-board 3.5mm jack for connecting a third microphone that’s stored on a third channel (four if it’s a stereo microphone being used for the external microphone port).
All audio is processed using Sony’s Digital Audio Processing, which Sony says ‘improves sound quality by optimizing a time-constant range between the transmitter and receiver, making the reproduction of sound more accurate [and] provides superb transient response performance which for enables clear and crisp audio for interview style recording.’
When the URX-P41D is paired with Sony’s SMAD-P5 MI shoe adapter, the receiver becomes almost entirely cable-free by skipping the digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital process, recording directly to the video files on compatible Sony camera system. In addition to audio, the receiver will also display8 audio information directly on the camera’s display for easier monitoring.
Sony has also included a new NFC pairing mode that will automatically scan for the right frequencies and pair the transmitter to the receiver with a tap. Audio drop-outs have been minimized by using a pair of antennas that Sony says uses a ‘space diversity reception system’ to reduce signal drops.Other features include an auto gain mode and output level control for more fine-tuned adjusting on-the- fly.
The URX-P41D will be available as a standalone unit starting this month for $679.99, or available as a bundle (UWP-D27), which will include two UTX-B40 Bodypack Transmitters, for $1,229.99.
Sony Electronics Launches New UWP-D Wireless Microphone Series for Sound as Good as Your Content
The URX-P41D Two-Channel Portable Receiver Supports Multi Interface Shoe with Digital Audio Interface
PARAMUS, NJ — April 6, 2022 — Sony Electronics has announced a new URX-P41D two-channel portable receiver, supporting MI (Multi Interface) shoe with Digital Audio Interface. The URX-P41D, boasts all the key features included in the 4th Generation UWP-D Series, such as improved high sound quality from Digital Audio Processing, NFC Sync for quick and easy set-up from Receiver to Transmitter and functions such as Auto Gain mode and Output level control, making the job of recording sound even easier .
As part of the market leading UWP-D Series, the URX-P41D will work with all UWP-D transmitters (backwards compatible withprevious generations) and will be available as a stand-alone receiver and as part of a new kit, the UWP- D27, which will include two UTX-B40 Bodypack Transmitters.
The URX-P41D is ideal for many users ranging from broadcast and news productions, to run and gun style interviews, or documentaries and series productions, using Sony’s XDCAM™ camcorders, Alpha™ interchangeable lens cameras and select cinema line cameras.
Key new features include:
- Digital audio interface to improve sound quality
- Sony’s Digital Audio Processing, which uses DSP (digital signal processing) for digital companding, improves sound quality by optimizing a time-constant range between the transmitter and receiver, making the reproduction of sound more accurate. It provides superb transient response performance which for enables clear and crisp audio for interview style recording.
- Using the SMAD-P5 MI shoe adapter enables direct digital audio recording and delivers high sound quality with low noise by skipping the D/A and A/D process. This interface is compatible with a wide range of Sony’s XDCAM camcorders, Alpha interchangeable lens cameras and cinema line cameras1. It also integrates seamlessly with Sony’s camcorders and displays audio information on the viewfinder for enhanced usability in the field.
- “NFC SYNC” function to allow quick and easy channel setting
- Simple and quick channel setting for reliable RF transmission when time pressure is high is becoming crucial. Delivering enhanced usability, the unique “NFC SYNC” feature is designed for easy and fast frequency setting. By simply holding the NFC SYNC button on the receiver for a few seconds, it automatically scans the appropriate frequency. Thereafter, just touching the receiver to the transmitter will sync the channel for optimum speed and efficiency.
- A new ‘all band’ scanning feature utilizing the NFC pairing function makes quickly finding the two best channels easy, regardless of location. Additionally, sequential pairing simplifies the process further by assigning each frequency to two transmitters in one function.
- Compact form factor, with improved ergonomics
- By reducing the size of the receiver from previous generations, the URX-P41D can sit on top of the camera or ILC attached to the MI shoe or cold shoe allowing for improved balance on the camera.
- External Microphone Input and Three-channel mixing function
- The External Microphone Input for an additional wired microphone widens the sound capture options. Three-channel audio recording is available by using a Sony lavalier microphone through the external microphone input. Furthermore, four-channel audio recording is also possible when using a stereo microphone through the external microphone input.
- Stable RF reception2
- The URX-P41D can reduce interruptions at reception (RF signal dropout), by utilizing a space diversity reception system, which achieves highly stable reception because of its two receiving antennas. The angle of the antennas on the portable receiver can also be adjusted, which helps to further eliminate signal dropout.
- Functions to improve performance when on location
- Auto gain mode and Output level control brings the user peace of mind that the audio levels are correct when out in the field. Auto gain will help to prevent any unwanted distortion and Output level control (when using XLR cable) allows the user to increase the output level where necessary.
The URX-P41D and UWP-D27 will be available beginning in April 2022 for a suggested list price of $679.99 and $1,229.99, respectively. All UWP-D series models can be found at https://pro.sony/uwpd.
1. Please visit Sony’s website to check compatibility between SMAD-P5 and applicable camcorders and cameras for Digital Output through the MI Shoe
2. Higher stability, true diversity reception in single channel operation mode.